The Houghton Area Seniors from northern Allegany County meet monthly on the second Thursday (NOTE: exception will be December meeting this year that will meet on Tuesday, December 12) for fellowship, food, and an interesting program—sometimes music, sometimes a travelogue, sometimes local color, sometimes valuable information—always interesting. New members age 55+ are always welcome ~ caregivers, also, regardless of age.
Our luncheon will begin at noon in the Community Room. Drinks are provided and all guests are requested to bring their own table service and a dish-to-pass potluck style in accordance with the following schedule:
Initial of Last Name: Desserts Casseroles Salads
- A-F September/January/March October/February/April December/May
- G-N December/May September/January/March October/February/April
- O-Z October/February/April December/May September/January/March
2017-2018 Calendar for Houghton Area Senior Citizens
- September 14 – “Senior Law and Estate Planning” Attorney Dave Brautigam
- The program will provide an overview of wills, powers of attorney, health care proxies, will substitutes and trusts if time permits. There may also be an opportunity for general questions.
- October 12 – “County Government” Judy Hopkins – Legislature District 1
- Learn how County Government operates and the contributions it makes to the comfort and security of local taxpayers.
- November 9 – “Reverend Calvin Fairbanks – His Story” Bill Heaney—retired Belfast teacher
- Join us at noon for a catered Thanksgiving dinner and enjoy a look back on the life and contributions of a historic Rushford area native from the 19th century. (Meal reservations required for this Thanksgiving Dinner by November 2)
- December 12 (TUESDAY) Holiday Music Program Houghton Academy
- Our annual pilgrimage to Houghton Academy (transportation available) where we will enjoy a program of traditional and contemporary holiday music presented by the bands, choirs and bell choirs of HA.
- January 11 – “Living Sustainably – Saving Money” Brian Webb—Sustainability Coordinator HC
- A workshop offering practical tips for living sustainably in our daily lives. Participants will learn how to care for their environment while working within their existing budget.
- February 8 – “Animals Captured on Film Media” Dave Huth—Communications HC
- We are introduced to some of the members of the amphibians family of vertebrates who usually have a soft, moist skin that is protected by a slippery layer of mucus. Enjoy the show.
- March 8 – Greatbatch School of Music Program Armenio Suzano Director—HC
- A program of customized musical selections presented by one of the nation’s premier music schools located right at our own Houghton College.
- April 12 – “Pathway To Empire—The Story of The Erie Canal” Craig Braack—retired County Historian
- Hailed as the greatest engineering feat of the 19th century, the Erie Canal survives today. However, it is now used mostly for recreation purposes. Program covers why it was built and problems encountered.
- May 10 – “Animal Sounds” media presentation James Pomeroy former teacher & biologist
- This program attempts to motivate people to identify by ear some of our fellow crew members on Spaceship Earth. There are a few mammals, a few amphibians, and some of our species of birds.
- June 14 – Picnic – no program
- Normal picnic fare to share family style
- Ken Gaerte, General Questions
- Don Barber, Secretary of the Treasury
- Becky Baines, Secretary of the Interior
- Jill Schmidt, Senior Dietitian
- Others as needed from time-to-time, including volunteers
New members age 55+ always welcome ~ caregivers, also, regardless of age.
Questions and reservations: Ken Gaerte 585-567-8522 or 585-610-9402